Road Worthy Certificates


What are Road Worthy Certificates?

A Road Worthy Certificate (RWC) is required for a vehicle to be sold. A RWC can only be issued by a licensed vehicle tester, at Vermont Tyres and Auto we can organise a RWC for you by acting as your broker. We will make sure that the inspection of your vehicle is performed without an unnecessary items being reported, and explain to you in plain English what needs to be repaired and why. These standards are stated by Vic Roads in conjunction with the Victorian Road Act.

There is 2 parts to a RWC

  1. The first inspection.This is when the licenced vehicle inspector checks over the vehicle, looking for any faults or defects that need to be repaired or replaced to meet the RWC standards.

If the vehicle fails the test

If a component fails to meet the requirements, the tester will issue a rejection report. You will be given 7 days to repair or replace the rejected items and have those rejected item inspected again. If more than 7 days elapse a full inspection is then required.

  1. The second inspection. Before the 7 days have elapsed, the vehicle is then presented to the same licensed vehicle inspector that performed the first inspection. They will check that the components mentioned in the first inspection have been rectified, after this has been approved, the green RWC form will be issued and the car is now officially road worthy, with a certified RWC.

How long does a certificate remain current?

A current certificate of road worthiness, has to of been issued no more than 30 days prior to any application for the registration or transfer.

Note: This is not a guarantee that a vehicle with a roadworthy certificate will necessarily continue to remain in a roadworthy condition for 30 days from the date the certificate was issued.

What is inspected?

The inspection is a check of the vehicle to ensure that the key components are in a fit condition for safe road use. It includes:

  • Wheels and tyres
  • Steering, suspensions and braking systems
  • Seats and seat belts
  • Lights and reflectors
  • Windscreen, and windows including front wipers and washers
  • Vehicle structure
  • Other safety related items on the body, chassis or engine.

What is not inspected?

The road worthiness test is not a check of the mechanical reliability or general condition of the vehicle.

The certificate does not mean:

  • That the vehicle is in top condition without any wear or deterioration
  • Non-safety related accessories such as the air conditioner, rear window demister, electric windows and rear-window wipers are working
  • That the items checked during the roadworthy inspection will continue to function after the inspection e.g. a brake light can stop functioning at any time after the inspection.

The road worthiness test is not a complete assessment of a vehicle 19s compliance with the Standards for Registration, which in most cases are the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs are set a set of minimum standards for the construction of motor vehicles and trailers. Compliance with these standards cannot be assessed by inspection alone.

Who has to get one?

Whenever a licenced vehicle is transferred from one owner to another, a RWC must accompany the transfer papers. It is neither the responsibility of the seller or the buyer, but is in the interest of the seller to make sure that one is obtained and that the transfer of the vehicle be done by the seller. If this is not don't, someone else will be driving a car, that you are the legal owner of.

So what if I don't want to get a RWC and still sell my car?

A possible option is to take the number plates off the vehicle and hand them into Vic Roads so as the registration on that car is cancelled. If this is done, the vehicle is no longer your responsibility.

View the Vehicle standards information VSI26 13 Roadworthiness requirements [PDF 415 Kb] for further information on the Inspection standards for the Road worthiness test.

Specialist Car Services